Instructions & Materials, University of Illinois at Chicago
The OTCAS (Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service) is now available at www.otcas.org. All UIC OT applicants for Fall 2015 must apply through the OTCAS system.
A complete application to the MS program must include the following materials:
- UIC Graduate College Application and fee: All applicants are required to apply to the UIC Graduate College. You may apply online here. Scroll down to the bottom and select either "Apply Domestic Degree Seeking" or "Apply International Degree Seeking." Select "MS Occupational Therapy" as your planned course of study. You may leave the section of the application requesting that you compute your grade point average blank; the Department of Occupational Therapy will do that calculation. Submit a nonrefundable fee of $60 for domestic and international applicants. Fees may be paid online as part of your application here .
- Application fee for OTCAS: There is a fee that is sent to OTCAS, the centralized application system. The fees are $125 for applying to one program and $45 for each additional program. Applicants who are applying to multiple programs in the OTCAS system will save time by only needing to submit one set of transcripts, letters and experience forms.
- Transcripts: Original transcripts from U.S. institutions are submitted directly to OTCAS. Original transcripts from non U.S. institutions, transcript evaluations and translations should be submitted to OTCAS and the UIC Department of OT.
- GRE Score: Remember to use UIC code 1851 and OT code 0618
The following materials are submitted to the OTCAS Application System:
- Occupational Therapy Application Form
- Activities, Accomplishments, and Recognition
- Occupational Therapy Observation Hours
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation: Three professional letters of recommendation will be required for each applicant. Personal references are not acceptable. Recommenders/referees are typically faculty, academic advisors, teaching assistants, or work or volunteer supervisors. OTCAS prefers electronic submissions, but paper forms are acceptable.
Required Supplemental Material
An additional UIC-specific brief personal statement is required. Please answer the questions below in one coherent essay of 300 words or less (words past the 300 word limit will not be read).
Why is the UIC OT program a good match for you and why are you a good match for UIC? Think about the kind of OT you want to be, and how UIC will provide a means to get there. Answer the question by explaining how the UIC OT program links with your career plans and your prior experiences, interests, values or background.
To submit the UIC personal statement, applicants must scan and upload it as a pdf document to their UIC Graduate College online application. Within 1-3 days of submitting the UIC online application, applicants will receive an acknowledgement email from the UIC Office of Admissions. This email will contain instructions to log back in to their application and upload the UIC-specific personal statement. The UIC-specific brief personal statement must be submitted within 1 week of your OTCAS application submission
Optional Supplemental Material
Please click here to view requirements for optional supplemental materials to be submitted to the department.
International Applicants only:
Applicants whose native language is not English must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the exam of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson's PTE Academic. The test score cannot be more than two years old. For TOEFL, a minimum total score of 550 (paper-based), or 80, with subscores of Writing 21, Speaking 20, Listening 17, and Reading 19 (Internet-based TOEFL) is required by the Graduate College; many departments have a higher minimum. UIC’s Institutional Code for TOEFL is 1851. For IELTS, a minimum overall score of 6.5, with 6.0 in each of the four subscores is required by the Graduate College. IELTS does not use an institutional code. For Pearson’s PTE Academic, a minimum overall score of 54, with subscores of Writing 56, Speaking 53, Listening 47, and Reading 51 (Internet-based) is required by the Graduate College. If you plan on taking the TOEFL, please use UIC code 1851 and OT code 0618 to have your scores sent to UIC. For the IELTS, please mail your results to: Department of Occupational Therapy at the University of Illinois at Chicago, 1919 West Taylor, M/C 811, Chicago, IL 60612. Pearson’s does not use an institutional code.
A Declaration and Certification of Finances form (must be accompanied by an original or certified copy of a bank statement showing proof of sufficient funds in U.S. dollars) to the OT Department. Please email the Declaration and Certification of Finances form and bank statement as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org
International applicants must provide an original transcript in their native language AND a translated copy in English. Translations should be on a translator’s letterhead and should be literal (not an interpretation). UIC only accepts translations from ATA certified translators, court-appointed translators, or from the consulate. You can find an ATA translator at their web site: www.atanet.org. Plain translations, notarized translations, and translations done by someone other than a certified translator are not acceptable. Applying by November 1 is highly recommended for students with transcripts that are not in English.
A Detailed International Academic Credential Report is also required for international applicants, in addition to original transcripts AND the ATA translation. The evaluation must be completed by one of the following companies. However, an ECE translation is strongly preferred. Make sure to get a course-by-course report.
Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) P.O. Box 514070 Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470;
World Education Services, Inc. (WES) P.O. Box 11623 Chicago, IL 60611-01623;
WHERE TO SEND MATERIALS
Send to the UIC Office of Graduate Admissions:
- UIC Graduate Application (online application accepted only)
- Application fee ($60)
- GRE scores (submitted by ETS by using UIC code 1851 and OT code 0618)
- International applicants only: TOEFL scores, IELTS scores, or Pearson's PTE Academic
Send to OTCAS:
- Original transcripts and letters of recommendation are sent to OTCAS per their instructions
Send to OT department via graduate application upload:
- UIC-specific brief personal statement
Send to OT department via email:
- Optional supplemental statement (if applicable)
International applicants only:
Send to OT department:
- Original transcript in the native language
- ATA transcript translations on official letterhead
- Declaration and Certification of Finances form
- Copy of bank statement
Send to OTCAS:
- Original transcript in the native language
- Detailed international academic credential report from ECE or WES